Thursday, July 16, 2009

Linda M. Hiltner

Hi fellow classmates from the Class of 1969. Whew! Still doesn't seem possible that 40 years have gone by. I am getting to the age where my children are almost as old as I am since I have this delusion that I'm only in my late 20s. This is what my mind thinks anyway but my body says otherwise and has its age-appropriate requirements of periodic naps, driving slower, and taking time to appreciate life and Nature more.

However, back to the age thing. Pretty soon my children will pass me in age --- then what???

On the other hand, I seem to be passing my Mother since she claims to still be in her 50s. We are all just part of the generational sandwich: the older generation being on one side, the younger on the other side, and we are in the middle -- for now that is. So, speaking for myself, no matter how hard I try or wish or may mentally be/feel young, the reality is I can't hang on to youth forever. Well, that's for another long discussion and is enough philosophy for now. If anyone wants to discuss philosophy further, see me at the reunion, ok?

Let me see, over the last 10 years, both my beautiful daughters left home and went on with their lives. My oldest (Kady, on the far right in the wedding photo) finished college at the University of Wisconsin and joined the Army. She is stationed in North Carolina and is due to get out of the Army this winter.

Kady and I attended the same university at the same time and graduated the same year but at different times. That was awesome since I was pregnant with her when I finished by Bachelor's Degree in Sioux Falls.

BTW, Kady got me a digital camera for Mother's Day this year, which is the only reason I have access to any wedding photos so soon after the wedding. You see, I am technologically challenged and not afraid to admit it. My old 35mm film cameras would have had to do if Kady hadn't gotten me the digital camera. Thank goodness for children and my brother who understands this digital and computerized age we live in and are willing to help me out.

My youngest daughter (Dannette, the bride) joined the U.S. Marines while still in high school and finished her service a few years ago. She got married to David (claims to be a Redneck) on June 21 in North Carolina, which is where I hung out this past winter to be closer to both my daughters.

While in North Carolina, I (in the dark green dress) discovered I am a Midwesterner at heart and possibly to the core. I knew I would be returning to either Minnesota or South Dakota after the wedding. Once or if grandchildren arrive at any time and if they are in North Carolina, I may have to review where I will be living. And, the Midwesterner-to-the-core thing may only apply until I travel to Alaska, which is another adventure on my list of things to do one day. The U.S. is so big and there's so much to explore, see and do, and people to meet along the way. Of course, the road does seem to be getting much longer the older I get.

Let me see, backtracking a little bit, I graduated from the University of Wisconsin (2005) with a Master's Degree that I have loosely applied to my work life. One of these days, I'll get on that again.

Immediately after graduation in 05', I left Wisconsin and spent some time in South Dakota. Then, when my oldest daughter was stationed in California, I went to visit her and see some country, as well as visit family and friends along the way. Since then, I have traveled to both coasts to visit my daughters wherever they were stationed and also worked as a ranch hand, waitress/cook, and as a professional test assessor/scorer for companies in Minnesota and North Carolina. My nomadic lifestyle has some advantages and some disadvantages and is a discussion for another time or a book.

The kitty (named Bo, as in Bodacious) is my traveling companion and a great joy to me. We found each other three years ago when I was a ranch hand for my friends at their ranch in Southwestern South Dakota over the winter. Yikes, I just realized I've turned into one of those "older" people who travel with their cat!!!! Oh well, at least Bo and I seem to have fun or she tolerates traveling and me quite well. She walks on a leash --- as much as one can take a cat for a walk that is. She definitely has a huge Spirit for such a tiny little body.

Well, I have babbled on long enough. Can you tell my degree was in journalism? Once I start writing, I have a hard time stopping. The starting part can be the hardest, though. Hence, the waiting until almost the last minute to post anything on the blog.

See ya'll (picked that up in North Carolina) at the reunion.
Linda M. Hiltner






No comments: