Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Judy Olson


Greetings to the YHS class of ‘69 from Minnesota!
Like the rest of you, I can’t believe we are old enough to be celebrating our 40-year class reunion! I’m anxious in more ways than one to attend the reunion knowing I may not recognize someone who I used to call a good friend!
My life hasn’t been terribly interesting to most people, but I think I’ve done okay.
My best years in the professional world were as an art teacher and fine arts coordinator (athletic director for the arts) until 1991, when the arts in our rural Minnesota area suffered at the hands of the notorious ‘budget cuts’. After my position was eliminated, I began my tenure as a housing director at a congregate living complex for senior citizens. I truly like my job and have come to appreciate those senior citizens Tom Brokaw so appropriately refers to as “The Greatest Generation”. They have so much to teach the rest of us about values, work ethics, faith and respect.
I also currently write two articles a week for our local newspaper. I do enjoy interviewing folks who have a story to share and trying to tell their story to the rest of the world. One of my most interesting interviews was with Al Franken, and the toughest with Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers and their families.
I was an EMT for many years until this old woman decided it was time to give the younger folks a chance at climbing in cars and out of ditches!
My ‘fun’ includes working in my yard and playing drums in the Milan Community Band. We have been entertaining in parades and concerts for 33 years. I still enjoy my position as “the drummer” and am rewarded by watching kids from two to 92 dance when we pass them by in a parade! We play some old time rock and roll and some country songs. But, no oom-pa stuff! We’re not THAT old!
Brad and I divorced three years ago after 33 years of marriage. We remain friends and are proud of our two children. Jeff and his wife are both deputies in Wright County. Heather and her husband have given us three of the greatest grandkids in the world: Soren, Maren and Gillian!
Looking forward to seeing each of you in July!! Judy

No comments: